Friday 7 May 2010

Chickens and herons and cream jugs

When I want some fresh air I can go up the road to my friend Felicity's garden and talk to her chickens, who are very interesting and very pretty, and don't they know it.



I think here the hens are dancing.... bit of dosey doh going on methinks..
Otherwise I can go down to the river and
admire the herons - who can't be better described
than by Mary Oliver:
'On the leafy banks
an old Chinese poet
hunched in the white gown of his wings'
was waiting.
The water
was the kind of dark silk
that has silver lines
shot through it
when it is touched by the wind'
and
'The preacher
made his difficult landing,
his skirts up around his knees'
When I am not out, I am often
in the workshop bashing away
with a hammer and generally
making a lot of lovely noise
without annoying anyone..






My next project in silversmithing is a cream jug - this is one of the very early stages, when I am raising and doing a bit of planishing - long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment